Monday, July 21, 2014

Don't Forget the Basics

As I have continued to cruise the blogosphere and my own photos thinking about activities, one thing keeps coming to mind. Don't forget the basics.


Each year I have taught kindergartners in my church class, kids have enjoyed blocks. They like to build and experiment with them.


As I looked at photographs, I saw them exploring different ways to use them. Even if other materials were added, the blocks usually took center stage.


Something about blocks (and other basic supplies) - you can use them in lots of different ways.


You can explore them as your creativity leads. Then use them in completely different explorations.


So, as I'm looking for fun and creative things to use with my kids, I don't want to forget those basics.


We'll use blocks. We'll use crayons and markers and paper. We'll have pencils and notepads.

Those basic materials allow kids to try out their own ideas and make the "special" items shine even more.


Don't forget those basics!