Friday, May 20, 2011

Favorite Things: Writing Center

We do lots of things in our classroom. But something we can always do it write and draw. We have a writing center that is always open.


It has white paper, manila paper, some note pads, other various paper kinds or sizes. It has markers, crayons, and pencils. Sometimes it has gels pens or other specialty writing implements. All these supplies stay in our writing box--an old briefcase.




Our writing center includes an alphabet chart. Sometimes we have words that connect to what we are learning about. Sometimes we have books that are related. Sometimes we have Bible verses or sentences.



We also have cards with all our friends' names. Then we can spell the names if we want.


In the writing center, we can write or draw whatever we want.
Calendars
Homemade books
Checklists





Sometimes we have special items like books...


...or word searches...


...or lists we have made...


...or other special paper or designs.


But the most important thing is that we can always draw or write whatever we want.


9 comments:

  1. Love the old briefcase :) When I taught elementary school, I used to send home a writing center in an old briefcase. The case went home with a different child each weekend and on Monday the child shared what he/she wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat, I like the idea of a traveling writing center. My old briefcase is certainly enjoying life more now than when I used it in school (many years ago).

    Kristin, that drawing is one of my favorites ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a similar area we call the creation station and I always find its the 'grown up' supplies which really entice the kids to get writing. Post it notes and bronn envelopes are a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids LOVE envelopes. I think I could just stock those in my room and they would have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful post Scott ... I'm so please to see that PLAY dominates the checklist ... precious!
    Donna :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me nostalgic for a classroom of my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog. I just wanted to tell you I tried the pitcher marble art with my girls and had lots of fun! Thanks for your great idea! Pictures at cowsgomooandducksgoquack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the last picture. The caption the child wrote is precious!

    ReplyDelete