Sunday, July 25, 2010

Break Out the Tools

I'm always encouraging my kids to experiment and try things, to use materials or tools that they haven't or to try using them in new ways. Now it's time to take that advice myself. Teacher Tom's recent post just reaffirmed my thinking about launching into building and see what happens. (Maybe my spectacular failure will happen outside the classroom instead of inside.)

I've also encountered some projects that are just begging me to break out the tools and try some new things. 

Play kitchen (via Kindergarten's 3 Rs)
Michaele posted about repurposing an old entertainment center into a play kitchen. She posted several links of these wonderful transformations. Sutton Grace has some specific how-tos on doing this. Here's a picture from that blog.


Others can be seen at Kelly and Her Kiddie Kalliope and Giggleberry Creations. This is a terrific idea and certainly caused my building genes to kick in. I want to try this for sure!

Tree Construction Set (from Teacher Tom)


Tom must be the most creative preschool teacher I've run across in a while. He is always building and constructing and experimenting. This looks like a great idea. I've seen similar "tree builders" in catalogs but his seems much more cool. I have some branches in the back that are just begging for this treatment.


Cookie Tree (Teacher Tom again!)



Again, my branches are calling for this kind of treatment. And I'm sure my kids would enjoy experimenting with the "cookies," rearranging them on this tree. 


I am so glad for the inspiration of my blog friends. I'm dragging out the tools I can find, and buying some new ones if needed, so I can create. Expect pictures. Even of the failures!