Thursday, February 4, 2016

"I'm Making My Own Map"

I love to incorporate different types of literacy play in the classroom. We often have opportunities to read and write in different ways. This week we had out the map pieces and highlighting markers.

Maps and highlighters (Brick by Brick)

I've written about this in the past. But this group of kids all sat at the table and worked on map piece after map piece. Highlighting markers are great because you can draw over lines and still see them.

Maps and highlighters (Brick by Brick)

Some drew on the lines on the map. Some just drew on the paper.

Maps and highlighters (Brick by Brick)

One boy drew lines across the paper. "I'm making my own map," he said.

Maps and highlighters (Brick by Brick)

Writing is more than creating letters and words. Kids are learning to make meaningful marks on paper. Creating their own map or following the lines or drawing specific pictures are all ways to make meaning

Maps and highlighters (Brick by Brick)

I know that paper maps are not in vogue anymore. But we still love to use them, even if it's for exploring writing. (And doing a little repurposing!)