Monday, December 19, 2011

A Homemade Gift

Every year we give out kids a bag of small gifts - small toys and trinkets that don't cost a lot but encourage kids to play. (There's usually a candy cane or other candy, too!)

This year I saw these "I Spy" ornaments on the Craft Snob blog. When I saw them, I knew these would be fun additions to our gifts. I went to Hobby Lobby to find the ornaments mentioned on the Craft Snob blog. But I couldn't find them. So I went in search of something else to use. I found some small plastic bottles that seemed perfect. I bought shredded/scrunched paper as filler.


I then wandered through Hobby Lobby, finding small items to hide in the bottles - jingle bells, small ornaments and lights, pinecones, and various sequins. I also used red chenille stem pieces bent into "J" shapes (to remind kids of Baby Jesus).


I worked for a couple of hours assembling these bottles. I was really pleased with the results. The bottles are the perfect size to turn and look through - and the perfect size to fit into our gift bags.


I put a couple in the room this week for kids to use - so they would know what to do with them at home. I really liked these even more than I thought. And I'll definitely make them again for gifts.

(I also liked these ornaments by Play at Home Mom.)

3 comments:

  1. I love these Scott - I may have to borrow this idea for my students to make tomorrow:) I have the balls but couldn't decide what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gift is best way to express our feelings. You share such nice idea of home made gift. Its very easy to make and Its looks so unique.

    ReplyDelete