Thursday, November 3, 2011

A New Tool from the Dollar Store

Recently I was browsing the dollar store, looking for notepads and sticky notes for my recent writing activity experiment. Since that was the day we were also using sand, I wandered over to the kitchen utensils to see if I could find anything interesting.

I looked at measuring cups and other such things. Then I found this can strainer.



"Hmm," I thought, "we could use this as a sifter in the sand." (It's part of my sickness.) So I bought a couple and added them to the materials for the sand table.

As often happens, I had one idea but the kids had another. They used the strainers as molds. They used them to move the sand around.



They didn't use them the way I planned but I'm still glad I purchased them. I think we'll use them again when I hide things in the sand. They may use them as sifters then. But, if not, we'll still have a great time with these repurposed items.