- In one bowl, mix 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup salt, and 2 teaspoons cream of tartar.
- In other bowl, mix 1 tablespoon cooking oil and 1 cup water. (If you want colored play dough, add several drops of food color, too.)
- Combine dry mixture and wet mixture. Stir thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into stick-resistant pan. Stir constantly over low heat until dough forms and pulls away from pan (about 3 minutes).
- Knead dough until smooth. (Watch it! It will stay very warm.) Usually I knead on a piece of waxed paper or a plastic cutting board.
- Cool the dough and store in airtight container or bag.
Make it with the kids. Take an electric skillet and ingredients to the classroom.
Create surprise play dough. Make white play dough. Form into small balls. Make a hole in each ball and add a few drops of food color; seal the hole. Give dough to kids to knead and watch the dough turn from white to a color.
Enjoy fall play dough. Use red and yellow food color to make orange dough. Add 2-3 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice to the dry ingredients to give your play dough a fall scent.