I purchased a large canvas (not as large as Jenny's but large enough). And attached some cardboard around the edges to form the wall. Now, at this point, I thought this would be my failure for the year. My stapler didn't have staples long enough to attach the cardboard to the canvas. So I used tape loops and tape strips. It wasn't pretty but I thought it would work.
And work it did. Here it is in action.
We used regular marbles and some textured marbles from the floral department. Then we used some "diamond" shapes marbles and a suction-cup ball.
The kids had to work together to move the marbles around the canvas. I heard lots of good conversation about how to get things done and what to do to work together. Also, comments about colors to use and where to place the paint.
Here's what the painting looked like at the end of the session.
The kids loved it. And I did, too. It's the most excited I've been about an activity in a long time. Except maybe next week. Next week we're adding to our painting. We're going to use a variation of Teacher Tom's Boy Art.
I'm smiling at the thought of that, too.
I've linked this post with other painting ideas on PreK + K Sharing blog.