Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Canvas Painting, the Sequel

We took our group painting on canvas from last week.


Added practice golf balls, paint (different colors than last week), and straws.


We tried blowing. It worked sometimes, but not as much as we wanted.


So we used the straws as small bats to move the balls around the canvas.




Things got a little crazy a few times, and I had to redirect them so we wouldn't get totally out of hand.



The results were nice.



The last kids dropped their straws onto the painting and went to wash up. J decided to do more than just drop his straw. He began smoothing out some of the bigger globs of paint. (These globs sometimes happened when I put the paint-covered balls into play.)



My first thought was "He messed up the painting." But, then, I remembered that the painting was theirs, not mine. (See Teacher Tom's volcano for his thoughts about this.) And I felt that the result gave the painting a focal point. Here's the final work.



I will enjoy looking at this painting in my office each day. And I'll really enjoy remembering the fun, smiles, and the mess that we made doing it. And that focal point will always remind me of J and his inventive thinking.

8 comments:

  1. These just always turn out so beautiful and they do look like fun! I love your comment about wanting to keep the painting pretty - As I observe teachers I see them really struggle with letting go and letting the child's work be about the experience rather than keeping it looking pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so have to try this one Scott. It looks like they had such fun - and the painting looks pretty funky too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how hard it is not to step in and stop the painting from crossing the line between what WE think is beautiful and ruined. I learned to let that urge go a long time go but I still see parents who will whip a painting off the easel ... the painting they MADE their child do for them ... at the point in which THEY think it looks good. I commend you for letting 'J' go Scott. Good on you!
    Donna :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the painting. No one else will ever have one like it. And it perfectly represents my class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is fab work, I would love to do this with my kids, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, they have proven me wrong! LOVE this!! It turned out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Painting! We will have to add it to our list of things to try ... thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool painting! And how nice to always have this reminder of a child's ability to innovate =)

    ReplyDelete