Monday, May 21, 2018

A Little Autonomy

from If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face?

I've been reading the book If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face? by Alan Alda (yes that one). It's a book about communication, mainly his exploration of how to help scientists communicate their ideas more clearly with non-scientists. It's a great book about communication in general and I found many things that triggered my thinking as I thought about communicating with young children.

But the above quote definitely caught me. Play is all about giving the children some autonomy...and allowing them the joy of discovery. How can you give kids some autonomy, some say in what they are doing and learning? How can you give some independence? How can you recapture your own joy of discover?