Saturday, May 16, 2015

Taking Initiative

One of my favorite things happens when kids decide to fix things or make things better in the classroom.

Recently we were playing with phones and a keyboard. This area was extremely busy. We were talking and taking notes and typing up important information.

Phones and notepads (Brick by Brick)

It looked like a busy office.

Phone messages (Brick by Brick)

Phones and Keyboard (Brick by Brick)

But one of the guys noticed a problem. There was only one keyboard. And not everyone was having opportunities to use it.

He came to me. He explained the situation. He explained what we needed. A waiting list.

Making a waiting list (Brick by Brick)

I've written about our use of waiting lists before. We use them when something is popular but not readily available. Kids can put their names on the list and then go do other things. When the activity is available, the child is given an opportunity to do it. He can say yes or no. We go down the list in order.

Usually I suggest a waiting list if something seems to be popular and kids begin to stand around to wait. I like to keep all kids busy, so a waiting list is a helpful way to manage "turns" when needed.

But this time, my friend suggested the need for one. I gave him paper and tape. He posted it and added his name.

Problem-solving is more than just figuring out how to build something and so forth. It's taking a situation and determining how to make it better. That's what my friend did.

Kids taking initiative and solving problems. Wow, these kindergartners are getting older and more capable. I guess that means they will be moving on soon. And that makes me happy and sad.