Saturday, January 3, 2015

One Word for 2015

A few years ago, inspired by One Word 365, I began choosing one word to guide me for the year. Instead of resolutions or goals, I use this one word to help me focus for the year.

I chose a word for 2015...it was a neat-and-tidy word that I could see guiding me for the year. I had it all sewn up. Until I didn't. 

I was thinking about it again as I drove (my favorite time to think). And I realized that the word I chose would not do for 2015. So, after pondering anew, I chose the "right" word.

My word for 2015 is YES.

YES (Brick by Brick)

Why this graphic? Well, I said yes to a couple of second graders who made wristbands for me one day. BFF wristbands. I wore them all day (even to my university class). 

I think this graphic helps sum up what I think about this word for 2015. I'm going to say yes to things that may not seem to make sense. I'm going to try some new things. I'm going to be embarrassed (I'm sure). 

But I'll say yes. 

Yes to those things that I've been afraid to try.
Yes to those things that seem a waste of time.
Yes to those things I must change.
Yes to new people.
Yes to the places God is leading.
Yes to kids' ideas.
Yes to failure and yes to success. Sometimes I try to avoid both.

I've written before about the power of yes in the classroom. Now we'll see the power of yes in my own life adventure in addition to the classroom.


Have you chosen a word for 2015? What word would you choose?