Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Inspiration from the Blogosphere: Philosophy

I've been thinking a lot lately about philosophy (what I think/believe about teaching young children) and practice (what I do when I teach young children).

Tape Roads (Brick by Brick)

Sometimes those things are closely linked. Sometimes they don't line up at all. Most times there is an interplay between them - what I believe impacts what I do and what I do influences what I think.

The posts below have me thinking about my philosophy -- what it is, where I need to fine-tune it, and how it should align with practice.

Stack and Count (Brick by Brick)

Do Your Actions Align with Your Beliefs? (Life of an Educator) - the fundamental question when thinking about philosophy and practice - are you doing what you believe?

Authentic Experiences Encourage Learning (Mama Smiles) - Things that I want to be a part of my philosophy and practice - hands-on experimentation, context, life connections, authentic experiences; sometimes these are difficult to provide in classrooms

Group Marble Painting (Brick by Brick)

Are You Addicted to Themes? (Play Counts) - My philosophy wants to focus on child-centered learning; but is it child-led; it's important to balance teacher-led and child-led activities, subjects, and experiences

Do Your Actions Align with Your Beliefs (Growing Together in Kindergarten) - This post is a response to the one above. I'm continuing to think about what is important to me and how that plays out in my classrooms

Some Teaching Advice from My 5-year-old (Blogging Through the Fourth Dimension) - Movement, choice, listening to the kids are all things that are part of my philosophy. Are they part of my practice?

What's Your Theme? (My Hullabaloo) - Does my emphasis on the classroom appearance trump what I'm trying to accomplish?

Buckethead (Brick by Brick)

And I thank Matt at My Hullabaloo for this quote:

"Our job is to teach the students we have. Not the ones we would like to have. Not the ones we used to have. Those we have right now. All of them." ~Dr. Kevin Maxwell