Saturday, January 11, 2014

This Is For You

School started back this week. After extreme cold and maintenance issues, we finally went back two days late - on Thursday.

Kids were coming in and I was working to get them to remember and follow our morning routines. One boy said, "I have something for you, Mr. Wiley." He reached into his backpack and pulled out a teddy bear. "Here, this is for you," he said.

The bear looked like one that had been around for a little while, loved and used.

"Thank you," I said. "Is this for me to look at or to keep?"

"To keep," he said. I wasn't sure what to do - but my heart filled with gratitude and warmth.

"I'll put it here for now," I said and laid the bear on the side of my desk.

The day went on...as days do. At one point, I asked again if the bear was for me to keep. The boy said it was. I told him I would keep it at school, near my desk. But, for the present, I left the bear lying where I had place it originally.

Later in the day, the boy and I were standing near my desk. He touched the bear and said something about it. I asked again if I was to keep it and he said that I was. Then he said, "Sometimes I sleep with this bear." Just stated that fact plainly, no particular emotion in his voice.

I took a couple of deep breaths to think. "You tell me what I should do," I said to him. "I can keep the bear here at school. Or I could take a picture of the bear to look at and you could take him back home. Which would you like for me to do?"

He pondered for a minute and said, "Take a picture."

I dug my phone out of my pocket to snap a photo. I started to tell him where to lay the bear when he hugged it to himself in pose. "Hmm," I said. "Do you want me to take a picture of the bear by itself or with you."

He didn't even ponder. "With me."

I snapped the photo and told him to put the bear in his backpack. He smiled and did just that.


At another point in the day, I don't remember if it was before or after the bear photo, this same boy said, "Mr. Wiley, I missed you. The only reason I came back to school is to see you."

This boy is not one of my best students...in fact he struggles a lot. He's not one of my attention-seekers or non-stop talkers. He's not one of the ones that wants hugs or to tell me his latest adventure. I am surprised by his statement and his amazing gift to me.

So many times since I started this adventure...in fact even this two-day week...I sometimes wonder if much worthwhile is happening in my classroom. I seem to fight every day to get something into their heads (and maybe hearts). I see so many times when I could do better. I hear my tone or my words and know that I have areas that need growth or mastery.

But this evening, going through my photo roll, I see this photo. And I remember that, sometimes, this flawed mid-life new teacher can make an impact.

I guess I'll get back at it for another week.

5 comments:

  1. Love how you have touched his life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post- a great reminder: you do make a difference and often times we don't realize just how much of a difference or exactly what it is that we do- but it is there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is evidence that good teachers impact lives in profound ways. This young boy may forget details. He will NEVER forget feelings! God bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete