Saturday, August 3, 2013

It's Started Again

First day picture
School started this week for me. Kids came for a half day on Thursday. I got to meet my new group of first graders.

It was a good day. Actually, it was the first time I did the first day of school. Last year, I was technically a volunteer for the first few days of school until we could get the red tape taken care of for me to me officially hired. So a substitute teacher led the activities. (I learned a lot from her.)

I was nervous and excited about the day with the kids. I didn't feel like I was quite ready but the day went okay.

I didn't get everything done that I had planned. We still need to talk about some procedures (and practice the ones we learned again).

I think I can remember all their names. Six kids go by names different from the ones on the class list. (But I can't complain about that; I have the same problem since I'm called by my middle name.)

Our school has a new principal who is doing some things differently. Change is always a little stressful. Not bad, just stressful.

The school is implementing a school-wide discipline plan - and some of the plans are not what I would choose myself. But I can work within the new system. (Several times this week I've had my change initiative challenged...but I'm working on seeing things as opportunities.)

My room looks a little bare - but that's because there's room for the work we will create together. I want to be more intentional in what goes on the walls.

I loved learning about the new personalities that are in my room. I just got a taste and I can't wait to learn more.

As we began talking together, I said to them: "I am so excited to see you. I have been waiting for you to come to school." A boy responded: "YOU HAVE???"

Yes, I have. I am truly excited about this year. I can't wait to see what happens.