This year we are reading The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease (7th edition). This is the most recent edition of a classic book.
Amazon.com says: "This updated edition of The Read-Aloud Handbook discusses the benefits, the rewards, and the importance of reading aloud to children of a new generation. Supported by delightful anecdotes as well as the latest research (including the good and bad news on digital learning), The Read-Aloud Handbook offers proven techniques and strategies for helping children discover the pleasures of reading and setting them on the road to becoming lifelong readers."
How It Works:
- A group of bloggers will be reading the book. One blogger will introduce/discuss the chapter.
- Those reading along will also post about the book and link up with the main post.
- We all learn together.
How You Can Be a Part:
- Get a copy of the book and read along.
- Visit the blogs and comment on those posts.
- Post about each chapter on your own blog and link up with the main post.
- July 8 - Chapter 1: Why Read Aloud?
- July 12 - Chapter 2: When to Begin (and End) Read-Aloud
- July 15 - Chapter 3: The Stages of read-Aloud
- July 19 - Chapter 4: The Dos and Don'ts of Read-Aloud
- July 22 - Chapter 5: Sustained Silent Reading
- July 26 - Chapter 6: Print Climate in the Home, School, and Library
- July 29 - Chapter 7: Digital Learning: The Good News & Bad
- August 2 - Chapter 8: Television & Audio: Helping or Hurting?
- August 5 - Chapter 9: Dad- What's the Score?
- August 9 - Chapter 10: A Hyper Kids Road to Reading
If you'd like to review past book studies--