Friday, March 16, 2012

Dots Collaborative Artwork

A couple of weeks ago I read this post from Deborah at Teach Preschool. (And I had looked at all those great pictures that Deborah talks about.)

Since we were talking about God's creation, colors, and so forth, I decided that we could make a community circle/dot piece of art. So...some circle stickers (large and small) and a display board made their way onto the easel.


I followed Deborah's example and separated the stickers into color groups.

We started off slow.



But soon the kids were working alone and together to create some cool designs.




We created patterns, made an exclamation point, made a friend's name, and used up all the blue circles.



My plan (and I told the kids) was to put this out again the next week for them to work more.

The next week, we had little activity. (Of course, the boys were dealing with tornado preparations in the blocks center.)


This is what usually happens with this group. They really enjoy something but if I put it out the next time (to build on that interest) they've moved onto something else. Maybe they need a little distance between experiences...so they can see an activity as "new" again. I suspect that this group really likes new. Or maybe it just takes a little time for these kids to think about how to use the materials in a new way. Hmm.


I'm not sure if it's finished or if I'll put it out again for more work. Either way, I think we had a fun community effort.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Scott - I found the same to be true for my class too! I put the dots out again and the children had definitely moved on. I wonder how to get the children to stay with something like this over a longer period of time? I need to get to the bottom of this:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if it needs to evolve more. For instance, maybe the original piece should be taped onto a box that can also be covered in stickers. Maybe this could be hung on a wall alongside much larger pieces of paper?? Maybe they'd like some curved surfaces, like cardboard tubes or furniture. Why can't they cover a chair or table with stickers? . . . Dunno, just thinking . . .

    I've been intending to do a version of this project, but I'm thinking I'd like it to run for weeks, if not months. I'm thinking of designating a corner of a the room and making everything in it fair game for stickers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're going to keep at it for a while, Tom. I'm going to change the orientation (flat instead of standing up) and maybe add some colored tape at some point. I'm interested in seeing if they come back from time to time to explore further.

      Delete
  3. We did dot painting last week as a great way to introduce painting to just 2 's. They loved it and kept coming back and adding a few more dots through out the morning.

    ReplyDelete