Thursday, February 2, 2012

No "Art" But Lots of Creativity

This week I put paper triangles, paper strips, glue sticks, and markers on the art table. (I planned for kids to make flags with names of family members on the strip.)


The table lay neglected. But while that table was unoccupied, this was going on elsewhere in the room.










In the past I've had parents concerned that the child "didn't do anything" since he didn't bring anything home. (I don't have any parents like that this year.) But creativity and learning happens throughout the room - in lots of different ways. And most of those ways don't end in a product that a child can take home. 

Eventually a child did go to the table. But she glued two triangles back to back, printed her name, and was done.

They may not go home with much in their hands but, hopefully, they'll go home with lots in their heads and hearts.

9 comments:

  1. Scott!!!!! So true, so true, so true!!!!

    Play and exploration all around. Discovery and excitement. Experimenting and role playing. They're all hard to send home in a backpack. The pictures tell the story!

    Debbie Clement

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Kindergarten I allow playtime most days at least for a little while. They learn so much through play! I got a new student the other day and his parent came to the classroom on his first Friday afternoon-I said we are just having playtime because we are all "done" for the week. The parent was thrilled! He had never gotten to see his son interact like that with other kids at his other school. That put a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those kids look like they are learning a lot while having fun--you've done your job! As an elementary school teacher, I understand the pressure from parents to have "products" go home. It's hard to walk that line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This happens to me all the time! I plan something and the children glide right by it or do something not even close to what I had planned for them to do! My parents are great too - they know that we are always "learning" and mostly what comes home is blob after blob of paintings:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I needed this reminder and will give it to my preschool's parents. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a whiteboard titled "car talk" where we list things we have done for the day...not always a take-home project but for use as a guide for parents to ask "so, what did you DO today"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such an awesome teacher. I wish you were in charge of Early Childhood Curriculum in Al.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I send a weekly letter to the parents. In it, I describe projects that didn't go as planned and things that I observed happening in the classroom. If I know the children really GOT something, such as retelling a story, I tell the parents to ask their child about it. Many have commented that " he loved when you did so-and-so and told me all about it! Also we have 3 or 4 places in the classroom and hallway where we display art, so I don't always have things to send home.

    ReplyDelete