Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Clipboards in the Blocks Center

I love clipboards. We use them for a variety of things. I like to add them to different activities, encouraging the kids to record their ideas or incorporate writing into their play.

A couple of weeks ago we had blocks, tools, and clipboards. I never know exactly what will happen when I add clipboards to the blocks center. Sometimes the kids push them aside and ignore them. Sometimes the clipboards become part of a building project. And sometimes the clipboards encourage writing.

This time.....
We drew objects. 
We traced tools.
We traced blocks.
We drew buildings.

And when I walked by the "take home" table, I found this.
G drew a picture of what he constructed.
And learned that he can use writing to record his thoughts and ideas.
I love an early childhood classroom and all the discoveries that can be found. Especially when I get to find them.