Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Who Needs Blocks?

This week we were talking about rivers so I put out materials to build river scenes - wavy blue paper strips, rocks, and trees. I debated about putting out the blocks, too, since some of my friends love to use blocks. I eventually decided to put out the bin of blocks, but to one side of the building area; they were available but not immediately connected with the other resources.

Kids came and I suggested creating a river scene but told them to build whatever they chose. The creations look more like an art installation instead of a river scene, but I love them.








And the blocks were never touched.

This class likes to experiment and explore, even more than other classes I've had. I think we're going to have some other unconventional building materials in the blocks center soon - with or without the blocks.

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Do you already have play silks with the blocks? Those are a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not exactly sure what the rivers are like in your part of the world Scott but the ones around here are surrounded by rocks, pebbles and trees ... not a wooden block in sight ... I love your children's rivers!
    Donna :) :)

    ReplyDelete