Friday, May 18, 2018

Inspiration from the Blogosphere: Art Ideas


I love art with preschoolers. Paint or crayons or stickers all give opportunities for young children to show their ideas and just explore "stuff" in new and different ways. A couple of years ago we did an art camp with some kids at our church. We're doing it again this year. As I plan and think about that, I also try to capture new or unusual ideas for us to try.



Here are a few ideas from around the blogosphere, some new and some not, that I'm thinking about.

Sculptures with chenille stems and paper shapes (TinkerLab)
I like the possibilities that this holds. And, if I give the hole punches to my kids, I see even more possibilities.


Paper Plate Stencils (Little Learning for Two)
We have used plastic stencils with colored pencils and pens. I like the idea of creating our own shapes - and maybe using paint instead of writing items.


Ball Shooter Painting (Fantastic Fun & Learning)
We've painted with balls in a variety of ways but we've never launched them at the canvas before!


Straw Mosaic Art (Picklebums)
I like the dimensional quality to these creations.


Tape Resist Paintings (Pre-K Pages)
Our new favorite art media are tempera paint sticks. I like the idea of using them here with tape to create resist art.


We will definitely repeat some of our previous ideas. (But probably no string painting!) As we refine our camp, I'll give you an update.


What are your favorite art experiences with preschoolers and kindergartners?


If you want to see other ideas I have collected, check out my Art Ideas Pinterest Board.