Thursday, October 29, 2015

Favorite Things: Wood Pieces and Objects

We love blocks. We use them all the time. In fact, I feel more secure when the classroom has blocks in it. (I think even all workshops and teacher training sessions should have blocks in them!)

A while back I wanted to supplement our collection of wooden blocks. I went to a local craft store and wandered down the wooden objects aisle. I collected various items to use with the blocks from time to time.

Wood pieces and blocks (Brick by Brick)

We have wood trim pieces and spools and "candlesticks" and "flower pots." Over time, dowels and wavy craft sticks have migrated into the box.

Wood pieces and blocks (Brick by Brick)

The kids use these materials in various ways. Sometimes the items supplement regular building projects.

Wood pieces and blocks (Brick by Brick)

Wood pieces and blocks (Brick by Brick)

Wood pieces and blocks (Brick by Brick)

Sometimes we experiment and explore different ways to build, using only these items.

Wood pieces and blocks (Brick by Brick)

Wood pieces and blocks (Brick by Brick)

This random assortment of wooden pieces and objects have become some of our favorite items to use with the blocks. I really like the way these items challenge kids to think about blocks, building, or construction in different ways. Creativity comes up as kids investigate and discover how to use the materials.

Wood pieces and blocks (Brick by Brick)

Wood pieces and blocks (Brick by Brick)

Now that I think of it, I may need to make a new run to the craft store. I'm sure there are a few new wood pieces that could add to our building experiences!