Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Slinky Painting

In my last post, I mentioned that I'm on an activity safari. I'm reviewing my pictures and trawling the Internet for activity ideas as I think about the future. Today I want to mention another fun art activity - slinky painting.


It's just what it sounds like - dip a slinky in paint and bounce the slinky on the paper. Some kids did bounce the springs. Others just pressed the slinky onto the paper to make circle prints.


We used the small slinky springs. You can find these in the party area of your favorite big box store. Or online at Oriental Trading. (I have no connection with Oriental Trading; link provided for your information only.) You may want to experiment with larger slinky springs. As I think about that, I would put the paper on the floor (or in a box) and kids could stand while bouncing the springs onto the paper. Hmm - that sounds like messy and big art.


We used the regular circle slinky springs. But you can get them in lots of different shapes - shapes that could connect with a particular theme (if you use themes). But kids could explore color and creativity anytime with this activity.


It's been a few years ago when we did this (in VBS again). But I'm thinking it's time to pull it out again. I think that, whatever class I end up with, the kids would love doing this.