Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Dreaming


I've been dreaming a personal dream lately...something I want to do. (More on that particular dream at another time.) Recently, as I was spending time thinking and pondering, this message came to me: Your dream is too small.



Too small? I was surprised, almost stunned. My dream was too small? Can a dream be too small? More pondering and thinking and pondering and wondering.


So, from that dream and that encounter came a larger idea. A bigger dream. Maybe even a long-term vision. I want to be a part of an education revolution.


A revolution that sees play as THE most important component of a learning environment. Play...exploration...investigation...differentiated learning...engagement...following the children's interests...emergent curriculum. Whatever you call it.


The kids are leading. The teacher is facilitating. Learning is happening.


I want to be an advocate for that...for real-world, real-life learning.


How? I don't know. But I know that my dream is bigger than before.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you linked back to this post...I'm right there with you, bud. It's a grassroots thing--and we are at the roots! Thanks for keeping us inspired. Sometimes it feels hopeless when, for instance, just this week somebody pulled their child out of my program to place him in a Pre-K program. Um, hello?!? The outgoing kindergarteners at our school are beyond prepared for kindergarten on all developmental domains. But not everyone sees the value of play in learning, so... Here we are : )

    ReplyDelete