Monday, February 20, 2012

Success

This weekend at a conference, the leader asked about success. After a teaching session, how do you measure success? What determines that the time was successful or not successful?

I've been pondering that since then. 

My teaching is successful when the kids are successful.


When they can experiment and discover.


When they can create.


When they can use their own ideas.


When they can do it themselves.


And keep trying until they find just what they are looking for.


When they can put their learning into everyday practice.


When things get messy.


When surprises happen.


I am successful when they are successful.

5 comments:

  1. I know I'm successful the next time the children enter the room in the morning- if they make great eye contact and smile at me I know I did something right last time they were here!

    And my other measures are laughter and silence. One indicates pleasure, the other focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Annie! If kids seem happy to be in the room, I've been successful.

      And I love laughter and silence as measures.

      Delete
  2. I concur Scott! My kids are happy, thriving and developing. Parents are over the moon happy with the progress of their children and I feel proud of them as well - So to me that is success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree! I feel successful when my daughter comes up with new ideas! Associates day to day happenings with the books we read!

    ReplyDelete