Monday, February 6, 2012

Off Kilter


Do you ever feel like things are out of focus? Just slightly off kilter?

Lately I've been feeling that. I know that something's just not quite right. I love teaching my class each week...but I think I've just been "going through the motions" lately. Oh, I give it all I can; it just doesn't feel like it's enough.

And, even though the kids are enjoying themselves and learning, it seems less is happening than should.

Part of reflecting is questioning what I'm doing. Or maybe it's just a case of the Mondays today.

What do you do to freshen things up in your classroom?

(And, I promise, the happy Scott will blog tomorrow.)

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean Scott, and what comes next (for me) is making mental lists of all the things I could do more of! When I feel like that, I usually 'go back to basics'... Pck up a book I haven't read to the class before and have a read, and some talk about the story to see where it leads us.

    Changing the curtains/drapes over different areas of my classroom always does the trick!

    Ooh and spending some time chatting to parents is great too, hearing their stories about home makes me smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally been there so many times!! I find just going to the store to find a little something different to add to the room, or rearranging my classroom, or doing something along these lines gets me excited again. I shop alot! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although your "happy Scott" is great, it's your vulnerability that make this blog so endearing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what, Scott...today I was just thinking about how there are so many things that I really really want to do with my classroom and curriculum but I will never be able to (maybe "never" is extreme). But there are only 24 hours in a day (and only 8-10 work hours) and only 5 work days in a week, so... I can't fit in everything.

    Also, my whole teaching career has been an ebb and flow. One day I feel like a great, worthy teacher, and other days I feel like you are feeling today...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto what everyone else said! Things that help me is to stop my lesson plans and just play with the kids with no agenda. And if that doesn't work I probably need a nap! ;)

    ReplyDelete