Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Why I Collect Stuff

This week I decided to try another experiment. I put some of my lids, some empty coffee containers, a few other empty containers, and some cat food bowls (donated by a friend) in the blocks center. My only instructions - "You can use these if you want."

Here's what I saw...or at least what I could get photos of...that happened there.

One of each kind of lid

Just exploring the containers was interesting

Do you see the lids inside this construction?

We're making collections.

Drums!




A collection of collections


We even got in a little sorting
Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it to save lots of lids or random containers. Sometimes I wonder if I need to totally clean out my garage and get rid of this stuff.

Then I see why I save it. I wonder if I should rent a storage locker for more stuff??

13 comments:

  1. Brilliant - the pictures certainly justify all that collecting, do you think it is something that we learn by osmosis as teachers as I can't remember it ever being mentioned in any teaching lecture!?
    I love getting ideas from other people's photos & I can't wait to put some lids in the block corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all teachers are born with that collecting gene. Or it's a type of disease that we pass along to each other!

      Delete
  2. I need to share this with my husband - it drives him crazy that I collect all those bottle caps, yoghurt tubs, Actimel bottles, jars, empty tissue boxes, .... the list goes on and on ;-) It's so worth it when you see what creative ways they use them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife was the same way. Now she teaches kids, too, so she understands...and even offers stuff for me to save.

      Delete
  3. Whenever I throw something away....in the next few days I need it for some project! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the same experience, Melissa!

      Delete
  4. Maybe we could trade stuff! I have a bunch, you have a bunch, but maybe it isn't the same bunch! That would be so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Maybe we need to start a "stuff cooperative" on the Internet to share stuff. I guess the postage would add up. (But that stuff certainly doesn't weigh much!)

      Delete
  5. Spot on, Scott! Yep, to officially call one's self an early childhood educator, one has to have the instinct to collect collect collect fabulous Stuff. Diverse materials are a favorite Must for an exploratory classroom environment. Love the photos! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, every early childhood person I know collects things. And seeing all the great ideas online doesn't help me, either! I always see a reason to collect new stuff!

      Delete
  6. Love this, Scott! I liked how clarified the cat food containers were not yours! (not a cast fan, here) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Jessi! You caught me. We're not cat fans either. And I didn't want to look too bad - like I collected everything myself. Somehow it seemed better to say that something was collected by someone else. (Of course, I am keeping them, so....)

      Delete
  7. Hi Scott,
    Thanks for the great post. I shared it with my Facebook Group BLOCKS ROCK http://www.facebook.com/groups/215969138479577/
    We'd love for you to join our group. You have such an inspirational blog.

    ReplyDelete