Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Through Other Eyes

Recently I was going through my photos from the classroom and I discovered this one.


"What is that?" I wondered. This certainly doesn't resemble most of my other photos. Do you know what it is?

When I take photos, I roam around the room, capturing kids in action or the materials they are using. Also during that time, I'm interacting with kids. I talk about what they are doing; I talk about whatever our emphasis is for the day; I ask questions; I join a game; I suggest and assist as needed. In doing that, I often lay down my camera so I can be involved in whatever is happening.

That's the moment captured in my mystery photo. I had laid the camera on a table to interact with kids. On the camera's screen was a close-up of the table and its faux wood grain design. "J" saw the design and looked at closer inspection. At his suggestion, I clicked the camera to capture the image.

This photo reminds me to see with a child's eye. What to me may look like just a close-up of a table because the camera was laid there may be a wondrous design worthy of photographing. So, today, I'm going to try looking with more wonder and excitement. Look beyond the surface to the beauty, the awe, the fun beneath.

And I must admit - that photo does look pretty cool.